Family Support Worker
Hello, my name is Gemma Sacree and I am your Family Support Worker at Portway Infant School.
We understand that family life can be challenging from time to time, and we recognise the affect this can have on children as well as parents. It’s my role in school to provide support, advice and information to families to make sure home life enables all our children to enjoy school and be successful, happy and secure.
Typical issues parents/carers ask me for advice around are:
- Sibling rivalry
- Lack of family/friendship networks when new to an area
- School transition
- School attendance and punctuality
- Confidence building
- Mental well-being
- Accessing and signposting to local services
- School holiday activities
I may not have all the answers but I work closely with my school colleagues and other organisations such as the Children’s Centres, School Nursing Team and Young Carers etc so if I can’t help you personally, I will certainly help you find out who can.
Support is flexible, there is no time limit and there are a number of ways support can be delivered. With the restrictions at the moment, we also run events online:
- One to one meetings in school or at home
- Offering practical strategies to improve behaviour and relationships
- Referring and signposting to local services
- Portway Pop-in – weekly drop in for parents
- Access to parenting courses
- Catch up by text, email or phone
- Joining our regular workshops – crafts, information session etc
How to get in touch:
No question is ever a silly question and I’m never too busy to speak to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me – that’s what I’m here for!
I’m usually around school from 8.30am every morning if you want to catch me for a quick chat or you can leave a message with the front office. Alternatively, feel free to email, phone or text me directly and we can arrange an appointment in school or at your home.