Yellow sound wallets have come home for the first time this week as well. Four new sounds will be put in on a Friday so that there is time to practise and learn the new sounds over the weekend ready to use and apply them during our phonic activities the following week. Homework sheets are sent home alongside the new letters to show the Jolly Phonics movements of the letters and it is important to remember to use pure sounds (a good youtube video clip to refresh your memory is ‘Articulation of Phonemes’)
What can you do with your sounds at home?.........
• Play games to recognise the shape of different letters
• Practise making the sound to match the letter
• Find the letter when you make the sound
• Write the letter shape (bubbles at bath time or shaving foam on the kitchen worktops are good fun!)
• Learn the alphabet name
• You make a word and your child blends the sounds to read it
• You say a word and your child segments the word to make it
There will also be a yellow ‘Challenge Card’ which shows a list of words that you can now sound out to make and read with the new letters, and the ‘Tricky Words’ which are the common irregular words for Year R children to use in their writing and read in their books.